How do I know if I am obese?
Obesity is defined as an excess proportion of total body fat. A person is considered obese when his or her Body Mass Index (BMI) is equal to or greater than 30. Finding out your BMI is part of our body analysis and weight loss programs.
Can being overweight lead to health problems?
Yes. Being overweight is linked to a number of health problems, including:
- Heart disease and stroke
- High blood pressure
- Gallbladder disease and gallstones
- Breathing problems, such as sleep apnea (when a person stops breathing for a short time during sleep) and asthma
Because of all the health complications that can come from an unhealthy weight, consulting with a weight loss clinic is a step in the right direction towards becoming healthier.
Is any fat healthy?
A certain amount of fat in the diet is good and necessary to be healthy. However, nutrition experts agree that most Americans should eat less fat than they currently do. When you do eat fat, make sure it is primarily unsaturated fat, such as fat that comes from nuts, grains, and vegetable sources like olive oil.
What steps should I take to lose weight?
- Decide you want to permanently lose weight.
- Make an appointment to have a body analysis done with our weight loss clinic.
- Set clear goals—our staff of professionals will work with you to set achievable goals.
- Formulate a structured weight loss plan—this is decided after a body analysis meeting to find out which plan is best for you, your lifestyle, and your health.
Is exercise necessary to lose weight?
It does not matter what type of physical activity you perform—sports, planned exercise, household chores, yard work, or work-related tasks—all are beneficial. What’s important is that you move to some degree.
Over the past few years, exercise advertisements have targeted simplified exercise routines for weight reduction and maintenance. Some exercise advertisements sell the belief that one machine will work your entire body and give you the results you need. However, many of these machines may only be good for one type of conditioning, such as cardiovascular. These machines also have limitations to the type of exercise you can do and they are not appropriate for everyone. To determine the best type of exercise program, we will advise you on fitness and weight loss programs as a whole. Contact our weight loss clinic to learn more!